Peru Peak Wish List
- Need to label peaks in terms of geographical location and height and difficulty and and remoteness and feasibility for us.
- A priority list would be good.
- I have looked at maps and guide book and have a rough idea of whats what in terms of easy peaks, lots of F and PD we can get to grips with before going above 6000m. They are also in similar areas so might be able to do two or 3 on a trip if we get public transport and our tents don't get stolen. (Damo).
Have a look on Google earth and use the tilt feature with ''terrain' on to see the relief. Awesome.
Altitude + Grade
|Pastoruri||S Ridge||Pastoruri||5240m||F||1|| || |
|Huicsa||NE Ridge||Pastoruri||5476m||F||1|| || || |
|Alpamayo 2||Ferrari (Normal) Route |
- Looks awesome
|25km NE of Caraz||5,947m||AD+||5+|| || || |
|Quitaraju||West Ridge|| ||6,040m||AD||5||1|| || |
|Chopicalqui||Southwest Ridge|| ||6,354m||PD+/AD-||??||2|| || |
|Huandoy Oeste||Northeast Ridge||16km East of Caraz||6356m||AD-||5|| || || |
|Huandoy North||East Face||ditto||6395m||D||8|| || || |
|Huandoy South||Northeast Face||ditto||6160m||TD||9|| || || |
|Pisco Oeste||Southwest Slopes|| ||5752m||PD||2||4|| || |
|Yanapaccha||West Face|| ||5460m||PD+||2||3|| || |
|Chopicalqui||Southwest Ridge||1||6,354m||PD+/AD-||4|| || || |
|Huascarán Norte 1|| ||14km East of Yungay||6,664m||PD+/AD-||5|| || ||1|
|Huascarán Sur 1|| ||ditto||6,768m||PD+/AD-||5|| || ||1|
|Urus Este||Southeast Slopes to East Ridge|| ||5420m||PD-||2-||5|| || |
|Ishinca||Northwest Slopes|| ||5530m||PD-||2-|| || || |
|Vallunaraju||North Ridge|| ||5686m||AD-||3|| || || |
|Chinchey||West Face to North Ridge||20km NE of Huaraz||6222m||PD+/AD-||4|| || || |
|Maparaju||Southwest and West Slopes|| ||5326m||F||1|| || || |
|San Juan||Northwest Ridge|| ||5843m||AD+||6|| || || |
|Shaqsha||West Face|| ||5703m||AD||5|| || || |
|Nev||West Face|| ||5703m||AD||5|| || || |
1Can the Huascarán pair be done in the same expedition? - both routes go to same high camp (camp 2)
- Checked: Above 6500m BMC Expedition insurance is usually required, but not for Huascarán. Franco
2In 1966, the Alpamayo mountain was declared "the most beautiful mountain in the world" by UNESCO
- Really interesting info on the two peaks.
- It says the flights cost max £800, I want to know where he books them. Also, Alpamayo sounds a bit harder than I thought it would be! Interesting to see what he wears as well. - Chris
- I'm scared of 70 degree ice. Franco
- Have chosen my top 5 only from my book, haven't looked at any further afield.
- Would like to do Alpamayo but think it is unrealistic.
- Huascarán doesn't appeal that much: Hard work, bit of a plod and dangerous - seracs.
- There are plenty of others that I'd like to do.
What is different about these? Area?
- Not in the Jonson guide book (Damo).
- Hualcan (6122 m)
- Chacraraju (6112m)
- Pucahirca (6046m)
- Nevado Pisco (5752m)
So 18 Peaks then - that's one every 2 and a half days...fairly ambitious. And TD's and D's? As much as I'd like to do them, lets not go thinking about them too much until we get there. - Chris (not Franco this time), Wish being the key word! Damo
- We'll start at difficulty 1 and see how we go; potentially up to 5 if all goes really well. Franco