If linking to pages within the site, please do so in the form Group/Page e.g. News, to avoid problems when viewing this box from inside another group
Stats since 09 Jan 13:
Now online: 3
Flights, Walks, and Runs
Monday 16th July 2007
- Damo and Chris arrive in Lima without 1 of Damo´s suitcases. Meet Franco at the airport with a taxi driver wo had waited 3 hours for Damo and Chris!
Tuesday 17th July 2007
- Jim arrives in Lima without any bags. Jim, Damo, Chris and Franco get a Cruz del Sur bus to Huraz.
- Lots of really good films on bus and a lunch! Bingo on the bus as well but not so much fun.
- Arrive Huaraz at 5pm where Al meet us. Stay in Hostel with Al and his mate Mark from New York.
Wednesday 18th July 2007
- Jim have big breakfast or actually have cake and eat it!
- Wander round Huaraz and buy pans, fuel and kitty.
Thursday 19th July 2007
- Jims bags arrive
- Walk up to lake (4470m). Damo can't swallow it.
- All have heads which feel like someone is hitting a nail into it, except Franco.
- Work out where not to eat.
Friday 20th July 2007
- Damo´s bag arrives, having been round most of Peru.
- Shop for exped, buy park passes and look at other hostels.
- Franco teach us Perudo.
- Eat take away in restaurant.
Saturday 21st July 2007
- Get a lift to 4225m then bimble up Cerro Japrujirca (4622m).
- Return and get a lift in a collectivo (small mini bus), work out that no matter how full a collectivo is its in fact never full.
- Huraz festival starts.
- Damo finds skype is not so great for talking dirty
- Meet Franco´s friends, Sam and Rachel for food.
Sunday 22nd July 2007
- Jim and Chris ill.
- Damo, Franco, Sam and Rachel get a taxi up to Punto Olympica where there are good views of Huarscaran and Chopicalqui. 5 hours on a very bumpy track
Monday 23rd July 2007
- Walk in to Ishinca valley (Damo, Franco, Sam and Rachel), Jim and Chris recover in hostel.
- Lots of rain on walk in, down gear is very nice and warm.
Tuesday 24th July 2007
- Damo and Franco wander up Ishinca (5500m PD-) very slow and ploddy 10 hours total.
- Eat and sleep.
Wednesday 25th July 2007
- Damo vomits a little bit on Chris´s tent, Franco cleans it off.
- Return to Huaraz and have meal with everyone: Jim, Chris, Franco, Damo, Sam, Rachel, Al and Mark. Very good.
- Al, Mark and Franco go to extreme bar for beers.
Thursday 26th July 2007
- Make a plan for a 7 day exped.
- Shop and eat.
Yanapaccha and Pisco
Friday 27th July 2007
- Collectivo driver tied our 4 exped packs onto the roof of the bus with a piece of string, drove for 1 hr and some how the bags remained on the roof!
- Donkeys to the wrong location, rain and eat pasta under a big rock.
Saturday 28th July 2007
- Struggle up 400m with big packs to a pretty lock, good views of Yanapaccha.
- Meet guided group complete with porters, cooks and clients. 1 american girl, 2 english.
Sunday 29th July 2007
- Up 0330 and bimble up Yanapaccha 5460m. Steepish with lots of wind and cloud about.
- Mixed with the guided group, "Say Alex said we want to do the Shotski"...
Monday 30th July 2007
- Walk back to 1st campsite,say hi to cows, donkeys up to Pisco base camp.
Tuesday 31st July 2007
- Meal in Refugio Peru
- The highest flushing toilet in the world?
- Lots of games of chess.
Wednesday 1st August 2007
- Up 0230, moraine, boulder fields, moraine camp, col, long plod and then the best views ever (see coming photos).
- I.e. summit Pisco (5700m PD-).
- Silly Sandhurst Situps
Thursday 2nd August 2007
- Return to Huaraz, eat T-Rex burritos.
- No Chilli Heaven so steak it up.
- No Shotski, whatever that may be.
Friday 3rd August 2007
- Hot baths or rather pools of brown water...
Saturday 4th August 2007
A 6000m mountian or a just a big pile?
Sunday 5th August 2007
- Shop and eat and pack for Ishinca base camp.
Monday 6th August 2007
- Walk in to Ishinca base camp.
- Horses look unamused at having to carry our bags.
- This time good weather and all 4 of us walk in.
- Yummy pasta, sausage and soya for dinner.
Tuesday 7th August 2007
- Jim return Huaraz, Chris Damo and Franco stuggle up 700m to Tocllaraju snow camp.
- Find out it takes ages to melt snow, MSR stoves are not reliable and a 2 man tent is not suitable for 3 people.
Wednesday 8th August 2007
- Up at 0130, plodding by 0230, up a well warn track. Keep together with 2 Norweigians to final summit pyramid.
- Chris lead over ´´´big step´´´ and up to summit of Tocllaraju. Collapse on summit (6032m).
- Abseil off and return to tent and then to base camp, long day.
- Lots of space for 2 in an MSR tent, more sleep than previous night.
Thursday 9th August 2007
- Jim in Chaven
- Damo, Chris and Franco return Huaraz and meet Jonny in Cafe Andino.
- Jim´s last night, eat Thai without him!
- Find out what shotski is, its a ski with shots!
- Lash on...
Friday 10th August 2007
- Jim, Chris, Jonny, Tom and Dan go mountain biking with Julio.
- Damo and Franco relax.
3 presidents, 2 meets secs, and 2 treasurers (one double)
Saturday 11th August 2007
- Shop, eat and film festival.
- 75 minute caving film in Italian with spanish subtitles, excellent.
Sunday 12th August 2007
- Last minute packing, 1.5hr taxi and camp = lazy mountaineering.
- Lots of chess (thanks to Jonny´s Corus chess set), some ice falls and midges.
Monday 13th August 2007
- Damo do wrong photocopies so head off in wrong direction for peak.
- Get to a good campsite on the other side of Vallunaraju, fine just means doing a PD- rather than AD route.
- More chess, and objectively high washing up.
Tuesday 14th August 2007
- Late start (0530) bag peak, which we had to ourselves, amazing views, as good as Pisco??
- Return to campsite, return to road, return to Huaraz, return to Pollo a la Rosti, return to bed.
- Flat tyre, not flat tyre, why change?
Wednesday 15th August 2007
Thursday 16th August 2007
- Eat, buy exped food.
- Go to Caraz, stay in Hotel Chaven and eat steak and pizza. Good cake.
Friday 17th August 2007
- Franco, Chris and Jonny leave for mountains at 6am. Plan to do 24km walk in with donkeys...
- Damo return Huaraz.
Friday 17th August - Wednesday 22th August
- Damo goes home to do press ups
- Jonny Chris and Franco do long walk to Alpamayo base camp
- Jonny and Chris go up to col camp in a long day, Franco ill doesn't
- Too tired and ill to summit Quitaraju, they come back down but get some good photos of Alpamayo
- All go back to Huaraz
- Franco and Chris don't update the website much now that Damo has left
- Bimble round Cordillera Blanca a bit more. Too tired for more climbing
- Go Surfing in Huancahaco, explore Lima for a day
- Go Home and enjoy proper tea