Once upon a time their were 12 MPS members/Ex-members who went to Kintail...
So why did 12 MPS'ers gather on Friday 5th June 2009 at the bottom of Glen Lichd (near Glen Shiel and the Shiel bridge)?
For one reason only, to take part in the EPIC:
Lowe Alpine Mountain Marathon (LAMM)
9th - Chris and Hamish
66th - Matt Hilton and Mike Vernon
72nd Place - Ed and Jim
41st - Vince and Ben
75th - Franco and Greg Martin
16th - Jo Ingold and Nick Sharpe
67th - Dave Bloomfield and Al Mackay
Friday 5th June 2009
- Cruise up in Vince's new motor to meet Franco at service station on M6 just north of Manchester
- Travel to Fort Bill where we stopped for food and weekend shopping.
- Arrive in Kintail around 8/9Pm after journeying through some of Scotland's beautiful Glens.
- Setup tent and get organised for the epic weekend ahead.
Saturday 6th June 2009
- Various race start times, all between 6 and half 8(ish). We were woken by a bagpiper, wearing a Kilt. Very authentic.
- Great whether for being out in the hills both today and tomorrow, if not slightly too hot for running.
- Water in the streams was plentiful but rivers weren't swollen, excellent...enough for a drink without a tricky river crossing.
- After completing the first day of our courses, we all met up at mid-camp.
- Everyone had a successful first day and had pushed themselves, (or their partners!)
Sunday 7th June 2009
- Tough to get up after a tiring first day. Again woken by Bagpipes!
- Second day was shorter than the first (normally is).
- Start times were between 6-7.30. Prize giving was 1.30ish, most of us made it back in time.
- No official prizes won this year, but congratulations to everyone who took part, because partaking in an event like this should be seen as achievement in itself.
- Then the mega journey home, after a wash in a stream, we set off about 5 and reach Fort Bill about half 6, before doing the big bit, arriving back in Nottingham for about 1am on Monday. A special thank you to Chris and Vince for driving us all back safely when we were all tired.