Recent Changes - Search:

If linking to pages within the site, please do so in the form Group/Page e.g. News, to avoid problems when viewing this box from inside another group




*Lean Skin

Stats since 09 Jan 13:
Page hits:
Total hits:
Now online: 4

If linking to pages within the site, please do so in the form Group/Page e.g. Main/News, to avoid problems when viewing this box from inside another group

Next Meet

"Wild Camping"

1st - 3rd March 2013

Next Social

AGM. Portland D136.

Thursday 14th March
8.00 pm

If you don't want this for a time, please comment it-Fabian !Next Ice Climb

Manchester Indoor Ice Wall
Friday 1st December at 8:30am

If you don't want this for a time, please comment it-Fabian !Next Climb

Here's a brief meet report for the first meet of the year, anyone can edit it so get in there and record all those memorable moments that made the trip.

Check out the Photo Galleries page for more photos (from Steve and Louise).

The first meet of the year showed much promise and we weren’t disappointed with the outcome. The Lenton pickup happened at 4.45 on time and as we were driving down derby road Steve suddenly remembered that he had left his boots in his house hallway, so after quickly packing the bus at the stores a “quick” trip back into Lenton was required in rush hour traffic. Adding to this Damian had conveniently left the hut key back at his house Eventually at 5.45 we headed out of Nottingham and set of South bound on the M1 to get to Scotland! Worringly (name?) failed to meet us at stores to be picked up and even more worringly was the fact that Andrew (on account of illness and exhaustion) opted to leave us south of Manchester! So a trip with 13 people was down to 11 even before tea! Steve, Martin and Lou were getting worried that if many more people dropped out it would probably mean having to walk with Damian all weekend (on top of the mini bus journey and sharing a room with him!!). Enough to make us want to drop out also! Anyway as per tradition we stopped of in Penrith to visit the Little Chippy and watch the chav show, which was the best yet (if only I was cool enough to walk round the street with music pumping out of my mobile phone!!)

After realising that the student union minibus doesn’t go very fast(and was probably the slowest thing at accelerating on the motorway that day!) we eventually made it to Crianlarich at about 2ish,only to find that we couldnt open the door. Anyway after realising that a key was in the other side of the lock after some loud knocking and the use of the mini bus horn the door was opened.Quick unpacking of the bus proceeded and then to bed for 3hours of sleep. 6.30 was the wake up time set by Damian,however most people decided that this was far too late and awoke at 6am, (waking all the shocked commitee members in the process) ready to get onto the mountains.

Two walks occurred:

Martin and Steve led Graham, Chris C and Christie up Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig.

Damian and Lou led Christopher J, Kathryn, Kayleigh and Phillippa up Beinn Eunaich, Beinn a’ Chochuill and Stob Diamh.

Martins and Steve’s walk started with a river crossing to save an extra 2hours walking. The river wasn’t too deep, almost up to knee height but was fast flowing, so after practising moving together in a circle for support people started to step into the water only to forget all the practise and run across the river as water flooded into everyone’s boots. A quick emptying of boots later and we headed along a very boggy path through a forest. After coming out the other side we realised that we took a wrong turning and decided that instead of the planned 4 Munros we would just do the 2 due to the bad weather and extra walking involved to include the extra 2 munros. Visability was practically zero above 700m, with constant rain to add to the fun! Ben Oss was reached fairly comfortably but Beinn Dubhchraig was a little bit more tricky with wind gusts so great that kneeling down on all fours was required to prevent been blown off the mountain.

Damo’s group (insert here) but why did you miss out the highest and probably the best munro in the range? Poor route planning and route choice maybe?

Getting back to the hut Bangers and Mash with extra mash was on the menu, and after clearing away we all made the 30second walk to the pub. One new member(christie) being a patriotic Englishman decided he wanted to play some of the locals in a pool competion. Damian, Martin and Chris C decided to join him, but as you can probably guess we lost quite miserbly!

On the Sunday Damian and Steve led all those willing(ie everyone apart from Martin and Lou) up Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean. The weather was much better than the Saturday and we could actually see views around us instead of just greyness.

We set of from the hut at 5pm and arrived back in Nottingham about 1ish, dropped everyone off at home and got some much needed sleep.

All in all a great weekend, and looking like it could be a great year to be in mps!!

Edit - History - Print - Recent Changes - Search
Page last modified on May 04, 2010, at 09:02 PM